Saturday, January 8, 2011

On my wishlist #13

Wishlist

On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It's where you can list all the books you desperately want but haven't actually bought yet. They can be old, new or forthcoming. It's also an event that you can join in with too - Mr Linky is always at the ready on Carolyn’s blog.  This is the books I am wishing for after I saw it in the blogosphere this week.

The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer as told by Lucy Weston.
(release date 11 January 2011)

Sovereign Power. Eternal Pleasure.

Revealed at last in this new vampire saga for the ages: the true, untold story of the “Virgin Queen” and her secret war against the Vampire King of England. . . .

On the eve of her coronation, Elizabeth Tudor is summoned to the tomb of her mother, Anne Boleyn, to learn the truth about her bloodline—and her destiny as a Slayer. Born to battle the bloodsucking fiends who ravage the night, and sworn to defend her beloved realm against all enemies, Elizabeth soon finds herself stalked by the most dangerous and seductive vampire of all.

He is Mordred, bastard son of King Arthur, who sold his soul to destroy his father. After centuries in hiding, he has arisen determined to claim the young Elizabeth as his Queen. Luring her into his world of eternal night, Mordred tempts Elizabeth with the promise of everlasting youth and beauty, and vows to protect her from all enemies. Together, they will rule over a golden age for vampires in which humans will exist only to be fed upon. Horrified by his intentions, Elizabeth embraces her powers as a Slayer even as she realizes that the greatest danger comes from her own secret desire to yield to Mordred . . . to bare her throat in ecstasy and allow the vampire king to drink deeply of her royal blood.

As told by Lucy Weston, the vampire prey immortalized in Bram Stoker’s Dracula, this spellbinding account will capture your heart and soul—forever.

Timeless by Alexandra Monir
(release date:  11 January 2011)

When tragedy strikes Michele Windsor’s world, she is forced to uproot her life and move across the country to New York City, to live with the wealthy, aristocratic grandparents she’s never met. In their old Fifth Avenue mansion filled with a century’s worth of family secrets, Michele discovers a diary that hurtles her back in time to the year 1910. There, in the midst of the glamorous Gilded Age, Michele meets the young man with striking blue eyes who has haunted her dreams all her life – a man she always wished was real, but never imagined could actually exist. And she finds herself falling for him, into an otherworldly, time-crossed romance.
Michele is soon leading a double life, struggling to balance her contemporary high school world with her escapes into the past. But when she stumbles upon a terrible discovery, she is propelled on a race through history to save the boy she loves – a quest that will determine the fate of both of their lives.

The UnitThe Unit by Ninni Holmquist

"One day in early spring, Dorrit Weger is checked into the Second Reserve Bank Unit for biological material. She is promised a nicely furnished apartment inside the Unit, where she will make new friends, enjoy the state-of-the-art recreation facilities, and live the remaining days of her life in comfort with people who are just like her. Here, women over the age of fifty and men over sixty - single, childless, and without jobs in progressive industries - are sequestered for their final years; they are considered outsiders." "In the Unit they are expected to contribute themselves for drug and psychological testing, and ultimately donate their organs, little by little, until the final donation. Despite the ruthless nature of this practice, the ethos of this near-future society and the Unit is to take care of others, and Dorrit finds herself living under very pleasant conditions: well-housed, well-fed, and well-attended. She is resigned to her fate and discovers her days there to be rather consoling and peaceful. But when she meets a man inside the Unit and falls in love, the extraordinary becomes a reality and life suddenly turns unbearable. Dorrit is faced with compliance or escape, and ... well, then what?" The Unit is an exploration of a society in the throes of a system geared toward eliminating those who do not contribute by conventional means, in which the "dispensable" ones are convinced under gentle coercion of the importance of sacrificing for the "necessary" ones. It also looks deeply into the nature of the female psyche, at its resilience and creativity under dire conditions.

What is on your wishlist?

11 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower and wpld like to say thanks for the book reviews. Being a fan of all things Tudor i am curious about the Lucy Weston book about Elizabeth I, that's new twist i've never come across.
    I love the sound of Timeless too, i see this going on pre order :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower too and REALLY like this list! Have you read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter? I've heard great things about that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Secret History is one I want as well! Good choice and love the site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I want The Unit! It sounds awesome! It's on my list now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!

    I got Timeless on my wishlist too! And I love the cover of 'The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer as told by Lucy Weston' and the story sounds good as well. I think I'll put it on my already long list.:)) (see it here http://deeas-journal.blogspot.com/2011/01/on-my-wishlist.html).

    I hope you get your books soon! Happy reading!:)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Timeless looks really good. Added to my TBR list!

    Here's my post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Unit sounds interesting. I'm still fighting a cold but it hasn't stopped me from adding wishes to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always wanting to read the secret history of Elizabeth Tudor, Hope you get to read these soon would love to know your thoughts on Secret History.

    My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am absolutely dying to read Timeless and love the sound of The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor. I'd be very interested to read your review for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to LOVE your wishlist,you'Ve got TIMELESS on it and I cannot wait to read this novel. I love the mix of history, fantasy + romance:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the sounds of the first book. I may have to check it out. It looks right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for saying hello.