I was reading some blogs and was following links from one to the next when I came to this blog: The (other) View from bag end. The author's dog Ollie, wrote this but it could just have well have come from Spud:
1. The hound is not allowed in the house.
2. OK, the hound is allowed in the house, but only in certain rooms.
3. The hound is allowed in all rooms, but has to stay off the furniture.
4. The hound can get on the old furniture only.
5. Fine, the hound is allowed on all the furniture, but is not allowed to sleep with the humans on the bed.
6. OK, the hound is allowed on the bed, but only by invitation.
7. The hound can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but not under the covers.
8. The hound can sleep under the covers by invitation only.
9. The hound can sleep under the covers every night.
10. Humans must ask permission to sleep under the covers with the hound.