Friday, August 6, 2010

Book Review: Seduction in Death by JD Robb


Title: Seduction in Death
Author: JD Robb (Nora Roberts)
Series: In Death series #13
Edition: Audio
Read by:  Susan Erickson
Genre: Murder Mystery
Release Date: first published September 1st 2001 

Goodreads blurb:   This time Eve is on the trail of a serial killer--or maybe killers--who stalks young women looking for love in online poetry chat rooms. Once a romantic date has been arranged, the murderer sets the scene with roses, champagne, and candlelight, then serves his unsuspecting victims a lethal combination of date-rape drugs that takes them to the height of pleasure and too far beyond. But this killer is really clever, altering his look to become each victim's dream date. What a nightmare! Detective Dallas is on the case, chasing an anonymous psychopath with a twisted taste in romance. But Eve seems a little more fragile this time around, still plagued by the nightmare of childhood abuse.

My thoughts:  This is the thirteenth in the series and I guess I should be used to Eve's stubborn refusal to make it easy on herself.  She just seemed to irk me to no end even refusing to admit when she was sick and had to take some flu medication.  Roake had to sit on top of her so that the medicine could be thrown down her throat.  She has been married to Roake for nearly a year now, shouldn't she accept a little love, tenderness, friendship and support by now. That man is a saint with everything he has to endure.


It sounds as if I did not enjoy this book but that is not true.  I love the way Eve always have to build the evidence to be able to get to the killers in the end.  It will keep me reading (listening) to the rest of the series - think we are in the high twenties already. The books are not really mysteries as we know who the killers are right from the beginning in almost all the books.  The stories are about Eve having to fit the pieces together.  And in the sidelines the lives of her friends . . . errrmmmm sorry - 
colleagues.


I love the narrator, Susan Erickson.  She does an excellent job with all the different voices.  I read yesterday that this was the first book she narrated in the IN DEATH series but it didn't bother me that the voices were a little different from the rest of the series.  She has obviously build from this starting point and it was never an irritation for me.

All in all, I really enjoyed the story and listening to it all was very relaxing while the traffic was trying to get me to display some road-rage.


2 comments:

  1. This has been a favorite series of mine since "discovering" it three years ago. I read all the books back to back in 5 or 6 book bunches for about two years. I now am sitting on the most recent two, dying to start them but knowing once I do there's that long wait on the next one.

    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome aboard. This is a great review and Eve is her usual Stubborn self. Nora Roberts AKA JD Robb is seving up her usual splendid story. I am following you from Book blogs and hope that you will stop by when you get a chance.
    http://www.wrighton-time.blogspot.com
    Great Blog. I have signed on as a follower. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for saying hello.