Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Oh no!! Amazon has taken over Book Depository

image

 

I have just had a mini heart attack as I was reading this story which I was directed to by my Goodreads group.

I really hope that Amazon is not planning on changing anything.  Book Depository is my main “go-to” bookstore because of their “free shipping” policy.  Amazon charges humungous fees (mostly more than the price of the book!) for shipping to South Africa.  If Book Depository gets swallowed by Amazon, it will just mean that I will not be able to afford buying books anymore.  I just don’t want to think about that yet . . .

10 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    I'm as appalled as you are! I totally rely on the Book Depository for reasons similar to yours. If Amazon starts changing everything, it will be horrible. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. +1 to everything you just said. I rely on Book Depository for my books too :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( I have the same problem with buying things from Amazon and getting them to Australia, I won a $15 voucher a while ago, and I got a $2 book with $12.50 postage. I will be so disappointed if they ruin Book Depository.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this doesn't happen, I love Book Depository too because of their free shipping. Amazon is too expensive once shipping is added.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those of us here in the Philippines agree completely-I was so upset over this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be so sad if free shipping falls away!
    Then we would support Takealot again I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean - I never buy from Amazon because of their HUGE shipping costs to SA. And Book Depository makes it so convenient to host international giveaways on the blog. Let's just hope Amazon decide not to mess with a system that works damn well.

    Hello from a fellow South African blogger!

    Shelagh (New Follower)
    The Word Fiend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, that is the worst news ever. Like you, I hope this doesn't happen because it would mean that shipping costs would probably be sky-high. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right there with ya... Shipping cost on Amazon is absurd, Book Depository is like an oasis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I haven't heard about this until now. I hope they don't change it because Amazon does has expensive shipping.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for saying hello.